Old-School Britsh Mystery Series

The place for discussing movies, music, books, video games, and everything in between.
pofa
Community Savior

Armchair sorcerey

Old-School Britsh Mystery Series

Postby pofa » April 5th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Well, relatively old-school.

Saw someone mention Midsomer Murders on the OMM thread and had to start this. My mom is a mystery fan, so that series, along with Miss Marple, Poirot, Inspector Morse, Brother Cadfael, and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes made up a oversized portion of my youngest childhood television experiences.

Inspector Morse is my favorite of them, but you won't be judged in this thread if you think, like I do, that nobody will ever again be Sherlock Holmes the way Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes. :x
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
Commi-Ninja

Re: Old-School Britsh Mystery Series

Postby Commi-Ninja » April 5th, 2012, 1:38 pm

I haven't watched any old-school British mystery series, but I've read some Poirot and most of Sherlock.  I've heard of the others, though.
3DS FC: 4699-5851-2068
I might wake up early and go running. I also might wake up and win the lottery. The odds are about the same.
pofa
Community Savior

Armchair sorcerey

Postby pofa » April 5th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Commi-Ninja wrote:I haven't watched any old-school British mystery series, but I've read some Poirot and most of Sherlock.  I've heard of the others, though.

Yeah, I was referring to the BBC TV series of them, but if we're talking about the books too, Brother Cadfael and Inspector Morse are both great reads in addition to great TV adaptations, and not as many people seem to have read them as Holmes, Poirot, and Miss Marple. :3
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
KainTheVampire

*the Devil disguised as a mad vampire* >:D

Postby KainTheVampire » April 5th, 2012, 1:47 pm

pofa wrote:Saw someone mention Midsomer Murders on the OMM thread and had to start this.

*bows* That was me~ <33 *watching it right now*

Though the episodes after they replaced Barnaby... With Barnaby sucks according to me
Conclusion: "This area is full of crap" and "It's a nasty place!"

Drawn by yours truly
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Postby Jd- » April 5th, 2012, 3:18 pm

pofa wrote:...But you won't be judged in this thread if you think, like I do, that nobody will ever again be Sherlock Holmes the way Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes.

There has never been and almost certainly never will be a greater Holmes--a brilliant man that brought the character to life like no one else. He is missed!
Walbuls
Community Hero

"I Like the Name Because it has Poop in it."

Postby Walbuls » April 5th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Jeremy Brett is indeed the best there ever will be. I bought the "Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Granada Television Series" over christmas just to rewatch it all(its on netflix also). Got both it and the entire Charlie Chan series for myself  :D
Stopwatch

Postby Stopwatch » April 5th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Let's see, watched Poirot, the Jeremy Brett Holmes stuff and some Inspector Morse, was about to add Columbo before remembering it wasn't even British XD. There are probably some others, but I can't remember what atm :-X.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

bash7353 wrote:I kind of always assumed that Haneda's parents might've had names.

Spoiler: Box full of stuff
Write a Will
Some year's SS by Abs. :D
DCW SS from Anime Girl 4 Eva]
Thanks, cinna ^^
mangaluva

Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Postby mangaluva » April 5th, 2012, 5:51 pm

I read the Holmes and Agatha Christie books, but I never watched any of those series. I want to watch the Jeremy Brett series, though. I've heard a lot about it on the audio commentaries for Sherlock. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat are apparently big fans XD

Also, I really wanna find the old movies where Sir Christopher Lee played Sherlock Holmes. I didn't know that he had until I was going through his filmography earlier. He played Mycroft in one movie, too, apparently, which I'd love to see XD
Stopwatch

Postby Stopwatch » April 5th, 2012, 6:10 pm

mangaluva wrote:I read the Holmes and Agatha Christie books, but I never watched any of those series. I want to watch the Jeremy Brett series, though. I've heard a lot about it on the audio commentaries for Sherlock. Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat are apparently big fans XD

Also, I really wanna find the old movies where Sir Christopher Lee played Sherlock Holmes. I didn't know that he had until I was going through his filmography earlier. He played Mycroft in one movie, too, apparently, which I'd love to see XD

There are normally some of the Jeremy Brett ones on ITV2 or 3, if it's not on, there'll be some on ITV Player *totally prefers iPlayer 'cause of no adverts and downloads and everything :x*
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

bash7353 wrote:I kind of always assumed that Haneda's parents might've had names.

Write a Will
Thanks, cinna ^^
pofa
Community Savior

Armchair sorcerey

Postby pofa » April 5th, 2012, 10:15 pm

I don't know if Netflix is different in the UK, but the Sherlock Holmes series streams on it here. They took it off for a while when the movies and Sherlock came out, because why give anything away for free when there's DEMAND, but people were so outraged that they put it back on. :P
ImageImageImage

Stopwatch

Postby Stopwatch » April 6th, 2012, 4:56 am

...netflix? ???

Write a Will
Thanks, cinna ^^
mangaluva

Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Postby mangaluva » April 6th, 2012, 7:46 am

Stopwatch wrote:...netflix? ???

Film streaming website. My brother has a subscription, so I might get him to download them for me XD
Walbuls
Community Hero

"I Like the Name Because it has Poop in it."

Postby Walbuls » April 6th, 2012, 9:11 am

Stopwatch

Postby Stopwatch » April 6th, 2012, 9:25 am

Oh, right, thanks you two, I'd heard of it before, but wasn't sure exactly what it was :-X

Write a Will
Thanks, cinna ^^
Ariel

Self proclaimed evil genius.

Postby Ariel » June 2nd, 2013, 9:05 am

I have one Sherlock Holmes book that I love, but I can't find any others. My library's system is pretty useless, and I couldn't even tell if they had any Sherlock Holmes books. I guess I'll be hitting some used bookstores this summer.
3DS Friend Code: 1246-9032-4403
Tell me if you want to play Animal Crossing or trade Pokemon with me!
Now you see it. Now you don't.