The B'z Hype Topic! (New Album DINOSAUR Out Now!!!)

The place for discussing movies, music, books, video games, and everything in between.
CrimsonDragon

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! (New Single "Seimei/Still Alive" Out June 14!! www.offthelock.com has relaunched!)

Postby CrimsonDragon » June 7th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Oooh, a Winter LIVE-GYM! We get to hear Itsuka no Merry Christmas again then! ;D (although I wouldn't mind SNOW either)

This must mean a new album by the end of this year, right?! (Secretly hoping Summer's SHOWCASE will be included as a bonus on the album)

BTW, has anyone noticed the end of the opening music intro (when the red balloon emerges from the sea and rises to the sky) for LIVE-GYM 2015 -EPIC NIGHT- sounds similar to parts of Meimei (from the C'mon album)
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! (New Single "Seimei/Still Alive" Out Now!! New Project Announcement 6/15!)

Postby Jd- » June 14th, 2017, 5:39 pm

"Seimei/Still Alive" Now Released!

As expected, "Seimei/Still Alive" has debuted at the top of the Oricon charts with 60,000 physical copies sold as pre-orders. It's always refreshing to see rock music on top, but specifically we have here a single with a half-minute one-handed-tapping solo at #1. GUITARSSSSSSSS (Seriously, dat solo!) Here is the release message the band put out:

We also put together a longform article covering the complete history of B'z & Aerosmith just in time for the release that I am sure you'll all enjoy:

Aerosmith formed nearly two full decades before B’z and, by the time Tak Matsumoto and Koshi Inaba made their joint debut on September 21, 1988, had already sold well over 25 million records worldwide. “Dream On”, “Sweet Emotion”, “Walk This Way”, “Mama Kin”, “Back in the Saddle”, and “Draw the Line” had all long been released. Already commonly hailed as both the “Bad Boys from Boston” and the definitive American rock band, Aerosmith had by then already toured the world, broken up and spent a half-decade without its core line-up, reunited, battled drug addiction, and earned a reputation as both the hardest rocking and most volatile band around. The group’s biggest personalities and likewise its brightest stars—vocalist Steven Tyler and guitarist Joe Perry—earned the joint moniker “the Toxic Twins” as a result.

So distant were these two bands in age that B’z guitarist Tak Matsumoto spent his high school years playing Aerosmith songs in his bedroom, whilst a young Koshi Inaba considered Steven Tyler a top vocalist whose ability and stage presence were to be striven toward. What the two acts undoubtedly have in common is success: both topped their respective music industries, both established themselves as definitive rock icons whose staying power is long beyond reproach.

What’s more, despite the different eras from which they hailed and the ages that separate them, the divergent paths of B’z and Aerosmith would later intersect in a way that would make rock history and prove an indelible moment for fans of both bands.

CLICK TO READ THE REST... AND IT'S A LOT

IF YOU ARE WORKING ON THE INTERNATIONAL SHOWCASE PROJECT:
You can expect to hear from me tomorrow. We'll touch base and get everything in order then and all inquiries shall be handled at that time. If you have any additional questions and see this in time, let me know!

And... tomorrow, June 15, we'll reveal one more project that you can expect and can expect quite soon:

Oh, and don't forget that Daily B'z updates on the new OFFTHELOCK.com every day, in every category!

CrimsonDragon wrote:BTW, has anyone noticed the end of the opening music intro (when the red balloon emerges from the sea and rises to the sky) for LIVE-GYM 2015 -EPIC NIGHT- sounds similar to parts of Meimei (from the C'mon album)

Huh, good point. I didn't think of that before! Reminds me that I wish we could get some of those instrumental/guitar versions of some of the Ending SEs from the olden days.

JBLars wrote:Throwing this out there as a hail mary: Did anyone else get the LIVE-GYM package for Epic Day? If so, could I get a hi-res scan of the rubber band exchange voucher?

This will be in your inbox tomorrow!
k11chi

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! (New Single "Seimei/Still Alive" Out Now!! New Project Announcement 6/15!)

Postby k11chi » June 14th, 2017, 8:01 pm

I just want to say that Stilll Alive sounds freaking incredible.
shinichi'sapprentice

I NEED SLLEP

Postby shinichi'sapprentice » June 15th, 2017, 7:06 am

Still waiting for my copy here! Hope to get it by Friday if not today.

@Jd-: I know I'm late into the game but if ya still need some extra hands for the International Showcase Project, I'm in!
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Postby Jd- » June 15th, 2017, 5:06 pm

My next post in a few minutes will contain the latest hype project.

k11chi wrote:I just want to say that Stilll Alive sounds freaking incredible.

After hearing the full version, my thought was: "This could've easily been its own single". It's such a great song, and the preview version in the drama didn't do it nearly enough justice—the full song is a must!

shinichi'sapprentice wrote:Still waiting for my copy here! Hope to get it by Friday if not today.

@Jd-: I know I'm late into the game but if ya still need some extra hands for the International Showcase Project, I'm in!

I'm confident you shall love it, yesh. And, as for the International Showcase, I shall send a PM your way STAT. Haaaaaaang tight!
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! ("B'z XX9" Sign-ups Open! Delivers August 9th, 2017!)

Postby Jd- » June 15th, 2017, 5:14 pm

B'z XX9. Available September 21st, 2017 by request ONLY.

PLEASE NOTE: This will never be released publicly, at any point in the future, for any reason.

This is intended to be shared directly amongst fans; if you wish to receive it directly, send a PM at this link by September 20th, 2017. The package will be sent in reply on September 21st, 2017 at 6:00 PM Eastern US time.

How to qualify:
— Any member here, new or old, is welcome to join the delivery list. However, B'z XX9 will not be available again after September 21st, 2017 at 6:00 PM Eastern time unless acquired from another fan. Naturally, we will try to ensure the regulars and contributors receive the package at the designated time, but a reminder certainly will not hurt!

If you are reading this topic with any interest in this band, you will NOT want to miss this.
shinichi'sapprentice

I NEED SLLEP

Postby shinichi'sapprentice » June 18th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Super. Awesome. Release!

Spoiler:
1. Seimei

I like that short drum intro in the beginning. The guitar solo in the middle is superb. This opener really makes a declaration! >:D

2. Still Alive

Can't wait to see a full translation of this song. :D I might be memorizing that chorus soon like I did with RED xD Another Splendidly Arranged guitar solo right here. *___* THAT last 'Baby, you're still alive' part by Koshi whoa'd me when I first listened to this song. Still does, every time.

3. Sekai wa Anata no Iro ni Naru

I honestly haven't had the chance to listen to this song in full despite catching up on Conan just a few weeks ago. Another guitar solo that hits the heart T___T

4. Fukiarenasai

I'm curious... Is 'Blow Violently' the direct translation of the song title? Does it mean to blow as in whistling, or to blow as in hitting something, or is there a different context to it? Nonetheless, I like the song and I've had the preview of it on replay a couple weeks before this single was released! Finally hearing it in full was amazing.
CrimsonDragon

Postby CrimsonDragon » June 22nd, 2017, 8:24 pm

I believe Fukiarenasai ('Blow Violently') was in reference to the movie's theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MqcMC-rl4g

In essence, its message is similar to ultra soul - move forward, chase after your dreams and don't look back, nothing can stop you - which the title Blow Violently, and its lyrics, alludes to.

I'm pretty certain Seimei will be the opening song for their upcoming Showcase tour. Overall, this is one awesome single and hopefully all the songs will be performed live.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Postby Jd- » June 30th, 2017, 5:25 pm

B'z COMPLETE SINGLE BOX Announced

So, as rumors/leaks from inside 7-Eleven indicated... B'z are doing a 7-Eleven promotion for the next few months and one such part of that is the B'z COMPLETE SINGLE BOX. It's a luxurious package and the mass-market version (the "Black Edition") available everywhere—Amazon, YesAsia, CDJapan—costs a little under $500 and the 7-Eleven exclusive "Trailer Edition" costs $700!!! It's being made-to-order so this will be a collector's item for a long time to come.

The packaging is all-new and refreshed, with 53 individual discs for each single. Both versions come with a pair of DVDs with definitive performances for essentially every song included. Three of those have never been released prior, too ("Kimi no Naka de Odoritai" from Pleasure'91, "May" from Pleasure 2000, and "LADY-GO-ROUND" from BREAK THROUGH).

So, anyone here going to buy this? They weigh 6kg and 8kg respectively, so shipping is going to be murderous. Murderous, I tell you! There are plenty of Japanese fans none too thrilled at the prospect of re-releasing the singles, but thankfully they aren't making it a must-own for anyone by including a bonus CD with rarities or something. If they'd done that, at those price points, it'd have caused a riot. Instead, this is being marketed at hardcore collectors. It's not a bad price (about $9.50 per single) if you don't own any B'z singles or home videos, because you're getting the definitive performances for most of the singles on DVD in one collection too. That said—I don't expect a big pressing of either edition, though the one from 7-Eleven is tied to a pair of special live shows (as part of a lottery) of just 2,500 tickets each.

Next year, we may just see a B'z COMPLETE ALBUM BOX which would most likely lead to some of the best album songs finally getting home video releases. That would interest me a lot more, personally-speaking.

(And, you can definitely expect the 2017 studio album to land in November or December.)

BLACK EDITION — Releases Aug 30 2017

TRAILER EDITION — Delivers Dec. 2017

shinichi'sapprentice wrote:Super. Awesome. Release!

Spoiler:
1. Seimei

I like that short drum intro in the beginning. The guitar solo in the middle is superb. This opener really makes a declaration! >:D

2. Still Alive

Can't wait to see a full translation of this song. :D I might be memorizing that chorus soon like I did with RED xD Another Splendidly Arranged guitar solo right here. *___* THAT last 'Baby, you're still alive' part by Koshi whoa'd me when I first listened to this song. Still does, every time.

3. Sekai wa Anata no Iro ni Naru

I honestly haven't had the chance to listen to this song in full despite catching up on Conan just a few weeks ago. Another guitar solo that hits the heart T___T

4. Fukiarenasai

I'm curious... Is 'Blow Violently' the direct translation of the song title? Does it mean to blow as in whistling, or to blow as in hitting something, or is there a different context to it? Nonetheless, I like the song and I've had the preview of it on replay a couple weeks before this single was released! Finally hearing it in full was amazing.

1. As CD said above, I'd bet a billion yens this song is opening the SHOWCASE tour. It's too perfect for Shane to start with a hype groove riiiiight into the solo stuff a la the 2012 shows.

2. For that, I expect the wait... shall not be so long...

3. The outro makes this song! They should've opened with that so it'd be in the Conan business.

4. The "blow violently" here is, yesh, a lot like "gust violently".
k11chi

Postby k11chi » June 30th, 2017, 5:55 pm

If I was a lottery winner I'd buy this like right now... Oh well.
shinichi'sapprentice

I NEED SLLEP

Postby shinichi'sapprentice » June 30th, 2017, 10:05 pm

Jd- wrote:B'z COMPLETE SINGLE BOX Announced

So, as rumors/leaks from inside 7-Eleven indicated... B'z are doing a 7-Eleven promotion for the next few months and one such part of that is the B'z COMPLETE SINGLE BOX. It's a luxurious package and the mass-market version (the "Black Edition") available everywhere—Amazon, YesAsia, CDJapan—costs a little under $500 and the 7-Eleven exclusive "Trailer Edition" costs $700!!! It's being made-to-order so this will be a collector's item for a long time to come.

The packaging is all-new and refreshed, with 53 individual discs for each single. Both versions come with a pair of DVDs with definitive performances for essentially every song included. Three of those have never been released prior, too ("Kimi no Naka de Odoritai" from Pleasure'91, "May" from Pleasure 2000, and "LADY-GO-ROUND" from BREAK THROUGH).

So, anyone here going to buy this? They weigh 6kg and 8kg respectively, so shipping is going to be murderous. Murderous, I tell you! There are plenty of Japanese fans none too thrilled at the prospect of re-releasing the singles, but thankfully they aren't making it a must-own for anyone by including a bonus CD with rarities or something. If they'd done that, at those price points, it'd have caused a riot. Instead, this is being marketed at hardcore collectors. It's not a bad price (about $9.50 per single) if you don't own any B'z singles or home videos, because you're getting the definitive performances for most of the singles on DVD in one collection too. That said—I don't expect a big pressing of either edition, though the one from 7-Eleven is tied to a pair of special live shows (as part of a lottery) of just 2,500 tickets each.

Next year, we may just see a B'z COMPLETE ALBUM BOX which would most likely lead to some of the best album songs finally getting home video releases. That would interest me a lot more, personally-speaking.

(And, you can definitely expect the 2017 studio album to land in November or December.)

BLACK EDITION — Releases Aug 30 2017

TRAILER EDITION — Delivers Dec. 2017

Oohh, so this is the email notification I received from CDJapan v: When I clicked the link in the email, it wasn't showing in their website. But damn, I want that truck! xD ...except the cost is worth most of my paycheck..... and doesn't even include shipping yet?! OTL xd If the album box is coming out soon though... OHMYGOSH
CrimsonDragon

Postby CrimsonDragon » July 5th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Can't help but think this would be so much more affordable if they made a singles compilation by fitting them on as few CDs as possible. From a collector's standpoint, this does look impressive... but they will release more singles, so this is a strange release - nice to see the songs remastered though.

Honestly, I was expecting a compilation of their B-sides (2nd/3rd/4th beats) for their 30th anniversary. I guess this kind of is one...?

Hopefully, they will also release some unreleased LIVE-GYMs on home video next year, like what they did for the 25th anniversary. I would love to see LIVE-GYM 2003 "BIG MACHINE" in full.
Valentin

Postby Valentin » July 10th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Shortly before it’s finally going to be that time again, here are my thoughts on Seimei / Still Alive:

01. Seimei
To be honest, the first listen didn’t necessarily blow me away. While the rhythmic elements at the start—especially the drums’ powerful prelude—did arouse some curiosity in me as to what kind of new sound this composition would add to the band’s ever-expanding portfolio, the refrain seemed too generic to excite and left me wondering if it’s really strong enough to be an A-side. With every try I gave it, though, I gradually joined the groove and have come to appreciate the song as one of those that just rock without being particularly hard. The small passage immediately before the chorus (*guitar scale* “Seimei!”) and the interjections (“wake up wake up”, “shine on shine on” and “naked naked”) will go fantastically with the audience.

02. Still Alive
This is another instance where my initial impression fooled me: I had been so sure that I would see this tune as the fourth digital-exclusive single in late March that I was genuinely confused when it didn’t happen. Although I’m usually not too fond of such pop-oriented approaches with simpler melodies, this one has a number of cool tweaks here and there that make the overall picture more appealing. Not only does the vocal lead-in remind me of Yoru yo Akenaide; the style is evocative of the early millennium in general. (I wonder if this will be used as an opportunity to include some uncut diamonds from that epoch. How about … Yoru yo Akenaide?) The guitar solo is killer, but the short interlude preceding it is even killerer. (By the way: Am I the only one who used to misunderstand the last line, “Nani hitotsu owari ja nai”, as “Nani hitotsu owari tonight”?)

03. Sekai ha Anata no Iro ni Naru
At the risk of exaggerating, I feel that this is the most autonomous ballad in the entire catalog. Though I can’t deny that the context—the pompous celebration of the anime series’s twentieth anniversary both in cinema and television, the correspondent opening theme having been in use throughout the year, and the release of this work on its own in an otherwise rather idle period—might have influenced my perspective, I always sense a form of saturation upon hearing this piece that I normally get from several ones combined. What I like most about it is the extensive outro and of course the mini-reprise at the very end that furnishes the music with an epilog when the story appears to be told. And the guitar solo is plain beautiful.

04. Fukiarenasai
The foretaste in the Shippu Rondo advertisements had a vibe that didn’t exactly help me perceive this track as the “winter version of ultra soul”, but the full version and its lyrics corrected that. Without betting money, I claim that the upcoming SHOWCASEs could as well kick off with this atmospheric introduction and Inaba entering the stage shouting “NOOOW!”. The guitar accents during the second verse section are badass. However much praise this creation undoubtedly deserves, I was and still am somewhat disappointed by the guitar solo as I firmly believe that it could have been more sophisticated. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t mind this replacing ultra soul in regular set lists.

And now, let the the games begin!
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Postby Jd- » July 13th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Feels like it's been a long wait, but SHOWCASE 2017 is finally underway and we've got two shows in the bag with ten more to go. Already, B'z has gone deep into the catalogue for the setlists. We're looking at returns from 25 and 26 years ago, and the live debut of a B-side from 2004!

On a related note, we've got a full write-up over at OFFTHELOCK on all the times B'z wrote songs for other artists, with a little snippet on the times they did so solo as well:

B'z SHOWCASE 2017 -B'z In Your Town-
(July 11, July 13)
1. SeimeiLIVE DEBUT
2. Liar! Liar!
3. Sayonara Kizu Darake no Hibi yo
4. GO FOR IT, BABY -Kioku no Sanmyaku-1st since 2012
5. Uchouten
6. SAFETY LOVE1st since 1991
7. Pierrot1st since 2006 (7.11) / Hi1st since 2008 (7.13)
8. GO-GO-GIRLS1st since 1992 (7.11) / Mou HanasanaiLIVE DEBUT (7.13)
9. Hadashi no Megami
10. MY LONELY TOWN
11. Ichibu to Zenbu
12. ONE1st since 2008
13. Sekai wa Anata no Iro ni NaruLIVE DEBUT
14. Shoudou
15. juice
16. girigiri chop
17. ultra soul
ENCORE
1. CHAMPLIVE DEBUT
2. Still AliveLIVE DEBUT

Ending SE: CHAMP

Valentin wrote:Shortly before it’s finally going to be that time again, here are my thoughts on Seimei / Still Alive:

Another great write-up here; nice work! I've heard the "Still Alive" and "Sekai" performances were great, especially, but when I saw "Fukiarenasai" wasn't included, I thought, "They're saving it for LIVE-GYM 2017-2018 since it's a winter show". It could very well be a perfect opener (unless it's usurped by something on the upcoming album) or one of the highlight-slot songs later in the show with some great stage/visual effects. One way or the other, we will see this song performed live soon, for sure. Unless they're fully reserving it for the main tour, it may show up being swapped with "Sekai" or something like that, or get thrown in for one of the truncated festival setlists.

I'm really, really hoping that we get one of these SHOWCASE shows on DVD/Blu-ray as a bonus for the 20th album this fall. "GO-GO-GIRLS" coming back (see the above article for more info on that song!) is a delight that no one has complained about, and getting to hear "Shoudou", "girigiri chop", "ONE" and "MY LONELY TOWN" with "Uchouten" and "GO FOR IT, BABY" makes it seem like a show that could rival SHOWCASE 2007's legendary home video. Especially "GO FOR IT, BABY" because anytime Tak gets to sing, it's always a good time. Whether we got "GO-GO-GIRLS" or "Mou Hanasanai" and "Hi", I'm totally down with either version plus whatever else is on the horizon.
CrimsonDragon

Postby CrimsonDragon » July 16th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Jd- wrote:I've heard the "Still Alive" and "Sekai" performances were great, especially, but when I saw "Fukiarenasai" wasn't included, I thought, "They're saving it for LIVE-GYM 2017-2018 since it's a winter show". It could very well be a perfect opener (unless it's usurped by something on the upcoming album) or one of the highlight-slot songs later in the show with some great stage/visual effects. One way or the other, we will see this song performed live soon, for sure. Unless they're fully reserving it for the main tour, it may show up being swapped with "Sekai" or something like that, or get thrown in for one of the truncated festival setlists.

I'm really, really hoping that we get one of these SHOWCASE shows on DVD/Blu-ray as a bonus for the 20th album this fall. "GO-GO-GIRLS" coming back (see the above article for more info on that song!) is a delight that no one has complained about, and getting to hear "Shoudou", "girigiri chop", "ONE" and "MY LONELY TOWN" with "Uchouten" and "GO FOR IT, BABY" makes it seem like a show that could rival SHOWCASE 2007's legendary home video. Especially "GO FOR IT, BABY" because anytime Tak gets to sing, it's always a good time. Whether we got "GO-GO-GIRLS" or "Mou Hanasanai" and "Hi", I'm totally down with either version plus whatever else is on the horizon.

Yes, I'm quite certain "Fukiarenasai" is being saved for the winter LIVE-GYM, I can already imagine the awesome disco snowy special effects on stage when the song is being performed. As for "Sekai", I'm not sure if it'll be part of the winter setlist, but I guess it depends on how many new album songs will debut.

Really, this SHOWCASE has an amazing setlist. I had hoped and predicted "MY LONELY TOWN" would reappear very soon since it is one of Tak's favourites - though I was totally expecting it in their Pleasure tour, admittedly! ;D As for "GO FOR IT, BABY", I had a feeling it was the right time to revive the song after its brief appearance in LIVE-GYM 2012. Also notable is how they decided to perform three Conan theme songs consecutively in the setlist - "ONE", "Sekai", and "Shoudou" - great to see this track come back as well, it really deserves more love.

You know what would be awesome? Including SHOWCASE 2007 -B'z In Your Town- (which had a slightly different setlist from 2007 -19-), SHOWCASE 2009 -B'z In Your Town- and SHOWCASE 2017 -B'z In Your Town- as a special 3-disc home video release. Or even 2009 and 2017 together would be fine!