The B'z Hype Topic! ("This Love" Lyric Video Now Available!)

The place for discussing movies, music, books, video games, and everything in between.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Deportation applications available.

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! ("Top 50 B'z Guitar Solos" Video Now Available!)

Postby Jd- » November 24th, 2016, 12:00 am

—Download Here from Mega—
File Info: 134 MB / H264 / MP4 / 29:48

Those of us at OFF THE LOCK have long intended to produce additional content that explores facets of the B'z catalogue in ways we have not before. And, with that in mind, we now bring you our very own countdown of the Top 50 B'z Guitar Solos! The order found here is the result of speculation and discussions from throughout the international B'z community over the years. We hope that it will, if nothing else, provide an overview of the vast variety of guitar work and how integral Tak's solos are to the B'z sound.

In addition to excerpts of each song for the purposes of this countdown, we have also provided information on each guitar used to play each song with the information at our disposal. We cannot guarantee complete accuracy for many reasons, including the fact that Tak often employs several different guitars on each track, but hope it may prove informative nonetheless!

So, after watching: Do you feel something was left out? Or maybe you'd have had a completely different Top 10? Let us know what you would have changed!
musikuss

Postby musikuss » November 24th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Wow, as a guitarist i find this very interesting ! Thank you
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Postby Jd- » November 24th, 2016, 7:51 pm

musikuss wrote:Wow, as a guitarist i find this very interesting ! Thank you

Musikuss! Always good to see you around! What gear are you rocking these days? As a fellow guitarist, I'd love to hear your thoughts on that ranking but specifically that top 10. When we were discussing the top song, the answer—at least to us—was always leading down that road. It's just one of those solos that really showcases what's special about not just the guitar as an instrument but Tak as a guitarist as well. Epic, epic stuff, and even better live!
musikuss

Postby musikuss » November 25th, 2016, 5:03 am

The Top 10, well .. my choice would have been a bit different

But it is really difficult to choose from so many outstanding solos and always a matter of taste

I will post my Top 10 later, but what i already can tell,
Spoiler:
No.2 "Brotherhood" is my "No.1", No.1 "Raging River" is very good,
but not in my Top 10.

^^
musikuss

Postby musikuss » November 25th, 2016, 5:40 am

1. Brotherhood (especially this Live Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuCKumuuFTo

2. Liar! Liar ! (yeah i like that "Tak-Lick" ;))
3. Ai no Mama ni Wagamama ni ..
4. Deep Kiss
5. Fireball
6. Time
7. Lady Navigation
8. Calling
9. Love me, i love you (again, the "Tak-Lick")
10. Super Love Song
11. Ichibu to Zenbu
12. Real Thing shakes
13. Motel
14. Giri Giri Chop
15. Nagai Ai
i counted 5 Solos that aren't in your Top 50 that get into my Top 10 ^^

Check it out, why is that Solo (and i also count that Outro Part as solo) not in your Top 50 ?? >:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcpOVh4Hdcw

It just rocks .. ! ;) .. and i need a Les Paul with P-90s.

.. also Time, this Song is just so perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSvBxUSjIzY

I know that my 10 Top aren't the most virtuosic Solos, some are really challenging technically, but not all.
Last edited by musikuss on November 25th, 2016, 10:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
musikuss

Postby musikuss » November 25th, 2016, 8:20 am

Jd- wrote:[
Musikuss! Always good to see you around! What gear are you rocking these days?

Rocking only at home these days,

my "rig" consists of a Yamaha THR 10X, also called "little toaster" :)

It can produce some amazing tones at bedroom volume (and louder)
(Not me in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZxn9OZp48

but i bought some guitars recently at a clearance sale from a Big Music Store in Germany.

Some hints, but i can shoot more photos if you are interested.

This is a Fernandes Ravelle guitar, loaded with Seymour Duncan Pickups and including Hardshell Case.
The Ravelle is an interesting model, a combination of Gibson Les Paul with BC Rich Mockingbird and Ibanez Iceman.

;D
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Postby Jd- » November 25th, 2016, 10:16 am

Ohhhh, man, when it comes to live solos, I gotta bring up "Koubou" from LIVE-GYM 2008 "ACTION". When Koshi just leaves the stage and Tak takes over with one of his best extended solos of his career... it has that same sort of power as does "Brotherhood", where the solo just serves as an answer to all of the lyrics to that point. Koshi also left everything on the stage in that moment with some of his best singing of that entire era right there in that one song. Now that they're revisiting more of their older ballads like "GOLD" and "C'mon" (not quite as old), I'd love to see this one come back too. This version of "Koubou" is in Weekly B'z 35 somewhere if ya missed it; it's a stunner.

The guitar work to "LADY NAVIGATION" from the 2013 live version really reinvigorated the whole song for me. That song is begging for a hard rock studio revision sometime, for sure. They actually did prepare a "-Mixture mix-" for B'z The "Mixture" in 2000 but it was left off that album in the end... No better time than the 30th anniversary to solve that!

And "TIME", you're right—it's structurally a perfect song that really is "timeless". That's one of those songs that when they play it live (and they play it live often, especially considering it's a ballad and a B-side released over two decades ago), you can tell they are both completely at home with it. Koshi always drives home the lyrics and Tak ensures each performance has a slightly different feel to keep it fresh. The lyrics especially are one of Koshi's best efforts, for sure:

On a sunny day like today, we climbed the hill together
That hill where we could see across to the bay
Tell me what comes to mind when you see that sky
From that atmosphere that made me long to kiss you

We spent the entire afternoon doing nothing except watching ships come and go

What should I do? The time is going back, to that day under the dazzling sun
No matter the frequency with which the tears flow, the sea still spreads out silently before me...

In the midst of continually pouring rain, we walked along, soaking wet
Our hands were fastened together, while our voices were raised higher
We seamed through a bridge adorned by flocks of umbrellas
Let's continue walking until we reach your place

Your long hair spreading, the water dripping from it...
I still didn't see the confidence cracking in you back then

What should I do? The time has passed by that street corner where the rain fell so heavily
No matter how I blame myself for doing nothing, my heart continues to ache

Just like the night where we ran away together,
Who was it that tightly embraced together with me?
Even in the face of unamusing topics, who was it that laughed with me?

(TIME . . .)

What should I do? The time is going back
Right now, where are you? What are you doing?
Even if I were to throw everything away, the guilt will always accumulate
What should I do? The time has passed me by—I can never realize my own words now
Your voice from that day can no longer reach me anymore...

Another one that's not on the list whose live version exceeds its studio sister is "Ashita Mata Hi ga Noboru Nara". I'm afraid we may never see that one live again with all the great songs they have that fans expect, but it's still a beauty.

Tak + P-90s + an LP = pure gold. I always loved that era of his sound quite a bit. Tak really started to hit all strides in the late 90s and early 2000s as far as exploring the full breadth of what guitar sounds he could achieve. You remember "Hana" and "Koi Uta" from his Hana solo album in 2002? Steve Vai (who helped release it in the U.S. back then under his Favored Nations label) said those were among the most beautiful guitar sounds/songs he'd ever heard at that point.

Oh yeah—I'll send along a PM to update you on my latest guitar-related pickups once I get the chance; I've got some stuff that I think you'd definitely like giving a look. And, I'm sure we'll be doing more countdown-related business in the future, so if you'd like to be consulted on those, I'm sure we'd come up with some hype stuff!
musikuss

Postby musikuss » November 25th, 2016, 10:22 am

Thank you ! I'll check out Koubou for sure..

and yeah send me a PM with your guitars ;)

Of course i remember Hana and Koi Uta, i love these instrumentals.

I also have the TMG I CD, what a gem, the solo from "Oh Japan - Our time is now" is still killer.

Top notch Hardrock Guitar Sounds on this Album.
dumytru

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! ("B'z XX8" Now Available! Check Your Inboxes!)

Postby dumytru » November 27th, 2016, 3:57 pm

shinichi'sapprentice wrote:23. THE NEXT RELEASE IS ON MY BIRTHDAY! :o I might have solved one of the other codes too... Will decipher the others after I get sleep~

EDIT: I might have gotten the date wrong... If I'm correct, then the answer is actually ten months from now?!

Have you solved any more codes? That's the date I got as well.

Right now I'm stuck at "{IEAIOA_ ~OAE~}". I thought the hint meant it was a Cesar cipher or substitution, but I got nothing.
Oh, and there's the timecode "0:28:06-0:28:08": at that time in the video, the only things that I noticed is Inaba's shirt: "Love in different colors" and the words he's saying: "shiawase wo" (happiness).
shinichi'sapprentice wrote:dumytru hasn't acted very 'evil-like', but that's his specialty though...

dumytru's Karaoke Project!
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! ("B'z XX8" Now Available! Check Your Inboxes!)

Postby Jd- » November 27th, 2016, 6:20 pm

dumytru wrote:Oh, and there's the timecode "0:28:06-0:28:08": at that time in the video, the only things that I noticed is Inaba's shirt: "Love in different colors" and the words he's saying: "shiawase wo" (happiness).

I'm so surprised to see this worked out I had to comment directly: I never expected someone would actually notice and try that part prior to the reveal! I figured the other ends would give way to the answer if anything, but that's... really impressive that you found that, especially on your own...

All of the hints in there lead to a very specific answer, piece by piece. I wanted to ensure that even without every piece, however, it is possible to figure out with a lil ingenuity. All else I can add is you'll definitely know it when you come across it; if it's solved and it's brought to my attention that someone's posted the exact right answer, we'll reveal everything ahead of time.
Folka

Postby Folka » November 29th, 2016, 4:45 am

INABA/SALAS album announced!! I'm definetely buying this. It gaves me a Coverdale/Page vibe with its name.
Akai-Shuichi

Shottogun

Postby Akai-Shuichi » December 4th, 2016, 4:53 pm

I'm really jonesing for a new B'z album. :(

Pretty spot on top 10, although I'd of placed Yuruginai a bit higher, but Yuruginai is my jam. The top 2 couldn't of been any other 2 songs though, 100% locked in picks.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Postby Jd- » December 4th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Akai-Shuichi wrote:I'm really jonesing for a new B'z album. :(

Pretty spot on top 10, although I'd of placed Yuruginai a bit higher, but Yuruginai is my jam. The top 2 couldn't of been any other 2 songs though, 100% locked in picks.

So say we all, my friend, so say we all. I'm really hype for CHUBBY GROOVE at least and whatever Tak and Daniel Ho are cooking up. For those that missed it, here's the video for SAYONARA RIVER from Koshi Inaba/Stevie Salas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3dPobR0JPc

Oh, and! A couple of sidenotes:

—This topic will soon have a bot that repeats news from OFFTHELOCK as it happens. It's already been prepared but it's not active yet. It may start posting tonight, or it may not for a while yet. Nonetheless, don't freak out when it posts 2-3 times at once. Posts should be added within a few hours of going live at the latest, assuming it works as intended.

—The MYSTERY PROJECT teased in B'z XX8 will be revealed at the end of the month, along with two other B'z-centric projects that will benefit greatly from everyone's input. Be sure to swing by around then and see what's up!
k11chi

Postby k11chi » December 4th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Looking at that video makes me really excited for spring when all the snow melts...

Return to “Media Discussion”