What is "B'z"?
— B'z (pronounced "bees")
is a Japanese rock and roll duo that debuted in 1988. The team is comprised of guitarist Tak Matsumoto and vocalist Koshi Inaba. Tak writes and composes all of the music while Koshi pens all of the lyrics.Why is B'z any different from every other rock band?
— B'z has enjoyed a period of success that is virtually unheard of nearly anywhere in the world. As of this writing...
- B'z has released 47 #1 singles... in a row. They shattered the old record eons ago, and as of now, there is no artist even close to this number of consecutive #1 releases. To put this into perspective: The Beatles only had 20 #1's in the US (17 in the UK), and they weren't consecutive.
- B'z has sold 35,000,000 singles—recently confirmed to be the most in Japanese history.
- B'z holds the most #1 releases by an artist or band in Japanese history in every respect--the most #1 singles, the most #1 albums, and the most #1 home video releases.
- Of the top five best selling albums in the history of Japanese music, two belong to B'z.
- Every B'z studio album since 1991 has gone to #1 immediately.
- In November 2007, B'z made history when they were the first Asian musicians to be inducted to the Hollywood Rock Walk.
- At one point, B'z held 9 of the 10 spots in the top 10 singles chart.
- Overall, B'z has sold over 85,000,000 records.
Now, those sales figures may not mean much to you. They're simply to give you a sense of the band's achievements. When it comes to music...What makes B'z music special?
— B'z has worn many different hats over the years. They have had #1 hits with pop tunes, ballads, power ballads, hard rock, dance, and even the blues. Very few artists are able to remain at the top of their game while evolving as readily as B'z has. The B'z sound has been cultivated all over the world: many of their studio musicians hail from successful American acts and top Japanese talent. Tak & Koshi are well-acquainted with a number of music legends, including Aerosmith, Larry Carlton, Slash, and Steve Vai. B'z owns a studio in Los Angeles where much of their recording is done.What about their live shows?
— B'z is one of the premiere live bands in the world. Don't believe me? See for yourself.How many songs does B'z have? Do they have English songs too?
— As of this writing, B'z has released over 300 songs. The majority of their output is Japanese, although both members are fluent in English (and frequently enlist touring members of western origin, namely from the United States and Canada). As of 2013, the band have released nearly 30 English songs, all of which are detailed here
.Where am I supposed to start with something like that!?
— Fear not, we have you covered. Below is a starter selection chosen for those that are not familiar with B'z beyond some of what they've heard in Conan. These songs span the entire B'z discography and all of the many genres they've delved into over the years. Give this band a try—you will not regret it, I assure you!Where can I buy B'z music right now?
— Apart from their international English album
now available on iTunes, B'z have over two decades worth of releases. If you are up for importing, you can always import from sites such as CDJapan
. Beyond that, there are always a litany of B'z items available on eBay
.Where can I buy B'z T-shirts and merchandise?
— B'z tour merchandise such as T-shirts, wrist bands, keychains, tote bags and the like are all available exclusively from the officially operated B'z The Store
. The store stocks shirts and related items categorized by tour dating all the way back to 1999. However, orders are only shipped to Japanese addresses. As a result, those outside Japan are required to enlist aid to complete their own orders. More information can be found at this link
on how to enlist a proxy service to take care of such orders with no hassle.