The B'z Hype Topic! (New Album DINOSAUR Out Now!!!)

The place for discussing movies, music, books, video games, and everything in between.
IrelandCalling

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! ("This Love" Lyric Video Now Available!)

Postby IrelandCalling » November 8th, 2017, 7:02 am

PS Thanks so much JD for the message with link to B'z XX9!! Hope to d/l and view this soon as :)
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Postby Jd- » November 12th, 2017, 9:37 pm

IrelandCalling wrote:The Return of B'z!! This past week has seen me delve straight back into B'z world with hours of Live-Gm viewings (on YouTube and DVD) in anticipation of the upcoming 'Dinosaur' album.

ELEVEN: I hadn't listened to B'z for a while so this week has been incredible, all of the live stuff, as well as 3 of my top favourite albums - 'Brotherhood', 'Loose', 'Eleven'. I wonder, how is 'Eleven' viewed by the fandom? It's borderline heavy metal in some instances, which is why I love it - the variety in their catalogue is huge. 'Eleven', much like 'Brotherhood', features mainly very hard hitting and propulsive rock, and is a very exciting album. Four great singles ('Ring' for instance, just wow!) - and an album of all killer no filler. Is this almost heavy metal B'z fondly remembered by the fans, the whole 'Brotherhood'/'Eleven' era? I notice not many songs from these two, with the very obvious exceptions, are played live.

I ordered the 2CD/1DVD 'Best Ultra Treasure' also (I had the accompanying set with the bonus fabulous Zepp 2007 show on DVD), I love the rock versions of 'Pleasure' and 'Bad Communication'.

Yo IC! Long time indeed! Glad to see you back around on the cusp of the new hype.

Brotherhood & ELEVEN is indeed part of an interesting era... In fact, there's a story as to why they are so hard rock. When B'z The Best "Pleasure" came out and was such an explosive success (after two months it was the biggest-selling album in Japanese history!), Tak said he "started to feel a sense of crisis after seeing what sort of sales [the best albums] had generated. That's why I think [the next album] Brotherhood went in a hard direction." Quite literally, the expectations around their next studio album were unprecedented. This was a real turning point for their output, because while LOOSE and SURVIVE had started to move more into hard rock territory, it was really with Brotherhood that it all changed for good. As far as the fan reaction to those albums, there are certain signature songs from them that have overtaken the others... Those songs, at the very least, have been very warmly received.

I highly recommend giving the relevant B'z Wiki article a read sometime. The backstory behind Best "Pleasure" may come as quite a surprise! (For example, did you know it was called B'z GOLDEN BEST and that both Tak and Koshi were completely against it at the time? It has quite a history now!)
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Postby Jd- » November 13th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Kogorou wrote:Alright Folks:

This is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jMk3NVatas

They are back!
And WOW!

My response:

This aired on the radio with "CHAMP" earlier, to note. My first two thoughts: "Thank goodness this isn't just a 90 second intro track" and "This HAS to be the LIVE-GYM opener!". Listen to that opening guitar "roar" with the ESP Random Star (Black Star model). I'm not usually an ESP guy but I always appreciate a nice black guitar. The chorus is especially strong here, and we may get to hear it live sooner than expected because B'z will be on NTV's Best Artist 2017 the day before release. Not sure what they're playing yet, but it's probably something from the album and this one would be a hype fit for sure.

The real question now is: Will we get another PV from the album next week? If so, which song would it be? There are technically three now (counting "Seimei" and "Still Alive", which they will I'm sure).
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! (New Album DINOSAUR Out November 29, 2017!)

Postby Jd- » November 23rd, 2017, 6:21 am

The twentieth B'z studio album DINOSAUR will be out before you know it! Below, you can check out all of its music videos, its track listing, and pre-order information in case you want to own a physical copy.

We will also have a BIG announcement next month! Hang in there!

Track Listing

1. Dinosaur [music video]
2. CHAMP [music video]
3. Still Alive [music video]
4. Haruka — ハルカ
5. Sore Demo Yappari — それでもやっぱり, But Still
6. Seimei — 声明, Declaration [music video]
7. Queen Of The Night
8. SKYROCKET
9. Rooftop — ルーフトップ
10. Yowai Otoko — 弱い男, Weak Man
11. Itoshiki Yuurei — 愛しき幽霊, Beloved Ghost
12. King Of The Street [game video]
13. Purple Pink Orange

DVD / Blu-ray Bonus
Includes the band's full live appearance at ROCK IN JAPAN FESTIVAL 2017

1. Samayoeru Aoi Dangan
2. Liar! Liar!
3. Sayonara Kizu Darake no Hibi yo
4. Uchouten
5. Hadashi no Megami
6. Ichibu to Zenbu
7. Still Alive
8. Shoudou
9. juice
10. girigiri chop
11. ultra soul

Music Videos

"Dinosaur"
https://www.youtube.com/embed/8jMk3NVatas

"Still Alive"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l60BuSD437g

"CHAMP"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO-Dvsg0w2M

"Seimei"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOYxaIu7Tw

"King Of The Street"
Theme song to Japanese version of Koei Tecmo video game Shin Sangoku Musou 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmw7HO88LDI

Pre-Orders

The album can be pre-ordered now internationally from the retailers below should you want a physical copy:

Amazon Japan: Regular Edition, Limited DVD Edition, Limited Blu-ray Edition
—Low shipping fee and usually arrives within 1-2 days of release; you can also browse the full site in English if needed

CDJapan: Regular Edition, Limited DVD Edition, Limited Blu-ray Edition
—Most expensive shipping but usually arrives on release day

YesAsia: Regular Edition, Limited DVD Edition, Limited Blu-ray Edition
—Free international shipping but may take an extra week or longer to arrive

Folka

Postby Folka » November 24th, 2017, 5:39 am

CHAMP is addicting. No other word is more suited! It has been I while I was stuck to a song for so long!
IrelandCalling

Postby IrelandCalling » November 26th, 2017, 9:01 am

Fantastic the videos to Champ and Dinosaur; hard rocking B'z is my favoured Style. I was so out of the loop, had missed Still Alive 4-track single recently and only heard Champ in full last week! Still havent heard the other two songs. Were they ballads?

The trailer for the bonus DVD looks amazing; B'z without the safety net of their own show and production, headlining a festival and absolutely rocking it!! Sounding seriously good. I'm getting the deluxe; family in law arriving from Japan on 12th so 2 weeks after release. Will be worth the wait.

I read the Wiki page as recommended JD; that Wiki is worth its weight in gold, so much wonderful information, english lyric translations etc. Without it its very hard find informatiom on them in english. Its a fabulous resource.
k11chi

Postby k11chi » November 26th, 2017, 9:32 pm

B'z Never disappoints absolute greatness and a joy to listen to.
IrelandCalling

Postby IrelandCalling » November 29th, 2017, 8:13 am

Thoughts?? I'm receiving my copy in 2 weeks time; but have to know - how is the album?? How does fare against the last few?

Looking forward very much :)
shinichi'sapprentice

I NEED SLLEP

Postby shinichi'sapprentice » November 29th, 2017, 1:11 pm

my tracking says it's still in Tokyo xD
Folka

Postby Folka » November 30th, 2017, 1:51 pm

In the cart, along with Seimei. I have to buy other stuff before (like a very old Megazone 23 novel :D), but I'll buy it before the end of the year for sure!
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

The Last Dinosaur

Re: The B'z Hype Topic! (New Album DINOSAUR Out Now!!)

Postby Jd- » November 30th, 2017, 9:47 pm

It's that time yet again, my friends!

DINOSAUR is out in the wild and it's a suitably wild ride. A good buddy here mentioned to me that the album feels like a look back and a remembrance of their past works. You're definitely going to hear that when you listen through: a song like "Queen Of The Night" feels like it wouldn't at all be out of place on The 7th Blues and the ballad "Sore Demo Yappari" delivers a sound that'd normally date it between LOOSE and SURVIVE.

I was really happy to hear "Dinosaur" in its radio debut the other day—if you liked the music video version, there's more to hear on the album! There's a full verse that was omitted from the video due to time constraints. The full song comes in at 5 minutes, 11 seconds, and is the longest overall track. The full version of "CHAMP" is legendary and will no doubt emerge as the signature song from the album, for my money. Obviously "Still Alive" and "Seimei" are great singles that we've all heard now, but when you listen to them within the context of this track listing, you'll likely end with greater appreciation for each (especially the latter in my case).

"Purple Pink Orange" is reminiscent of other album standouts like "Koubou" from ACTION and "Ashita Mata Hi ga Noboru Nara" from MONSTER. It's too perfect to be left behind at LIVE DINOSAUR, but where it'll fall in the setlist is a mystery right now. If you like your B'z on the forefront of trying on new fits, a song like "Haruka" has to be what you're seeking. Bass solos, jazz riffs, crazy guitar, and somehow still a rock song amongst rock songs. Those that liked some of the crowd-pleasers on earlier albums like "DAREKA" will find a lot to love about "SKYROCKET" which I expect will also open with a call and response in live form. It has that summer spirit you hear on GREEN mixed with the heavy distortion you'd expect from BIG MACHINE.

Speaking of experimentation, "Yowai Otoko" feels like both a Tak instrumental and a Koshi vocal showcase at different measures. It also has a full minute break down section! And has a saxophone solo that lasts... a full minute! This song's structure is akin to that of "Nagare Yuku Hibi" from Brotherhood in that it's basically two songs: one part rock-jazz instrumental fusion, the other a wide-set rock groove. "Rooftop" is going to be a live rocker and go in the album song hall of fame as far as LIVE-GYM presence goes. Mark my words on that! The forty second guitar solo caps off an excellent song with a perfect chorus and hook. The imagery inherent in the lyrics could lend to a great stage presentation, too. Nearer the end we get "King Of The Street" which is probably the song I'm personally most anticipating as live dynamite. The full song has a "roam the stage" mentality about it and that transition to the chorus is never going to tire. And listen to that guitar lick—Tak never makes it easy on himself! While the album is overall quite light on ballads compared to previous entries, "Itoshiki Yuurei" is a stellar one. It has an energy that's a bit like those found on LOOSE mixed with a little of that light that permeated throughout C'mon.

I'm especially excited for everyone to see the live DVD/BD if you got that edition. Specifically for this show, while listening to what was happening in the setlist, one live review amounted to: "These all my favorites!!!" With a setlist this good, it's hard to disagree. The show didn't last longer than an hour but you'll come away feeling like you experienced a full LIVE-GYM—there's really that much to take away. Whenever you get a chance to check it out, let everyone know what you thought! I can't believe any band is able to put on this kind of show this long into their career. From the first moment when "Samayoeru Aoi Dangan" starts, the legacy they bring to the table and the requisite presence necessary to perform at this level so consistently for nearly three decades are both equally clear.

For those wondering: the Ending SE from EPIC NIGHT isn't to be heard here. I'd expect it as a B-side for a spring single at the earliest.

All that said: The key takeaway here is B'z knows where they've been the past three decades and where they're going for the next three (!). DINOSAUR is a sequel in all the best ways to the work that preceded it. You're going to think at times "This is exactly the B'z I want" and also "I didn't even know I wanted this from B'z"—which is what I've thought many times over the years and continue to anticipate each and every time we're on the cusp of a new release like this one. We're also just a couple of weeks away from the first live shows of B'z LIVE-GYM 2017-2018 "LIVE DINOSAUR". This is going to be a big tour, and we're only 10 months from the 30th anniversary which will no doubt rival GLORY DAYS and ENDLESS SUMMER.

Also, speaking of next month: We'll be posting some big news in a few weeks. Check back in to see what's coming!
Folka

Postby Folka » December 1st, 2017, 8:51 am

Ok, I had a "preview" of the CD. Very nice and refreshing sound. I think this is way better than EPIC DAY. Haruka was fantastic.
Also, on youtube a a rip of the DVD appeared. I don't know how much it will last, but I watched it yesterday. B'z are really STILL ALIVE (and kicking)!!!

ALSO: I couldn't resist! Bought both DINOSAUR and Seimei/Still Alive. My favourite band deserve my support!
IrelandCalling

Postby IrelandCalling » December 3rd, 2017, 8:47 am

I have it!! Shall be listening this evening; listened to King of the Street and Haruka so far; as well as the 4 we already knew from the promo vidoes - have to say this far sounding brilliant :)

Official Deluxe CD/DVD arriving 12th December, til then thankfully I can hear this new work from the legendary B'z! I saw the DVD on YouTube also and it absolutely rocks, the energy is incredible and the track selection pretty much flawless. There are other clips from 2017 on YouTube from 'Dream Festival'? I wonder was that show filmed in full?
Folka

Postby Folka » December 4th, 2017, 8:47 am

The more I listen to the CD the more I like it. All the songs are growing on me! Except Rooftop maybe, but keeping this level for the whole album, it did not happen since Survive, probably (my opinion, obviously).