[TUTORIAL] JDownloader

The place for discussing movies, music, books, video games, and everything in between.
Detective Alohran
Psychologyst, Detective, Conan Fan, Human.

[TUTORIAL] JDownloader

Post by Detective Alohran »

Hello everyone! Some people has asked me in the past how did I got the whole episodes, OVA's, movies and stuff from Detective Conan so fast (like in a couple of week or so), so I've decided to create this tutorial in order to give a hand to the ones who don't know about this marvelous program and would like to use direct downloads instead of torrents.

So, here we go.

Step 1
Go to this site and download JDownloader. Choose your OS and then download the recommended version). Install (it's quite an easy-to-follow setup).

Step 2
After installing, you'll get the following screen when you run JDownloader

As you can see, there're 3 tabs: Download, Linkgrabber and Settings.
  • Download:
The main tab. Here you'll see your current downloads, % completed and next files to be downloaded, as well as the ones you already downloaded.
  • Linkgrabber:
The main tool of the program. I'll explain it in further detail soon.
  • Settings:
Here you can configure most of the programs characteristics. I usually don't touch them as they work fine the way they come.

Now, in the Linkgrabber tab, we'll see 4 big gray buttons below.
  • Add URL(s):
Here you can manually add links you want to download.
  • Add Container:
Here you can add lists of links from, for example, a .txt file. I usually don't use this option, as there is another much more faster.
  • Continue with all:
Sends all the links that appears above to the download section.
  • Clear List:
Erases every link in the linkgrabber window.
Now that we know the program, let's go to the interesting part: downloading!!!

Step 3
Now, we'll go to, for example, this thread: Detective Conan + OVAs + Movies + Live Actions [AVI]-[Current Episode: 602] In the first post we'll see a huge, huge, HUGE list of links, most of them in megavideo. For this example, we'll be thinking that we're some crazy fans who have been looking for the episodes like for years, and finally found them and want to have them all at once (yes, that was my case, I confess... lol :P ). So now:

1) We right-click a link (for example, the one to the first episode:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=746Z9IMC ) and choose "copy URL" (or the way your preferred browser calls it).
2) We go to JDownloader, and if we clicked the link and copy ok, we'll see our linkgrabber tab opened, and in the window, something like "Detective Conan - 001 [An... | 200.30 MB    |  Megaupload.com      | Online". This is important: you need to wait for the green sign and the "online" text to appear before next step. You can repeat the process on as many links you want, and they will start appearing here in the order you have been clicking - copying.
3) After you clicked and copyed as many links as you want, and have them in the Linkgrabber window, hit the "Continue with all" button. That will send every link to the download section, and it will begin downloading them in the same order you copyed them.

The program will make the whole captcha and waiting time process and will show it in the main window. If everything went ok, it will show an ETA, your actual download speed, and the amount of file already downloaded. When it gets completely downloaded, it will go on the next one and so on.

Keep in mind that JDownloader will grab any link that you copy. So, if while you're copying Conan links you also copied a photo link, or a website link, it will also go to JDownloader. You can erase them by clicking once on them in the linkgrabber section, or if you only have wrong links, you can hit the "clear all" button to remove them all. You can also download programs, images, sounds and all that by this way.

A tip: in the "Addons" tab, turn the JD Decompressor off (by clicking the "enabled" option and make the ticket go away). That, because if you download rared files the program will inmediately decompress the file, as well as to keep the compressed file, filling up your disk fast. Also, be sure to choose the folder in which you want the files to be downloaded in the settings tab.

If sometimes downloads doesn't start, and says waiting for a new IP, stop the downloads (you can use the upper buttons, work the same way as in a DVD player: play begins, stop stops (duh!), pause pauses (duh again!) and arrows make the clicked file go up one line in the waiting list, or to the top, or to the bottom or one down) and then resume them a while later. If it still says needing new IP, stop them for a couple of hours and return later.

Hope it gets helpful for everyone :). If you have questions, I'll try to answer them all (as my knowledge allows me, lol). Comments are appreciated too :).
Last edited by Detective Alohran on January 29th, 2011, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
For darkness to exist, light was born before. For evil to exist, good was born before. For lies to be made up, truth was made before. And in the end, truth always will prevail! ;)
Conia
Yurikochan's Husband
Conan Shuuichi

Re: [TUTORIAL] JDownloader

Post by Conia »

This should be stickied :D

Thanks for taking the job and time to do this :)
Detective Alohran

My pleasure :) It's a way to show how much I appreciate this community and what I got from it (my most beloved anime and tv show from all times :P )
For darkness to exist, light was born before. For evil to exist, good was born before. For lies to be made up, truth was made before. And in the end, truth always will prevail! ;)
Detective Alohran

85 readings and not a single comment? Whoa, I made a perfect Tutorial! (?)
xpon
Community Sepll Chkecer
Spreading the cuteness, all over DCTP

Post by xpon »

which one you prefer:
- 85 view with 3 on topic post

or

- 85 view with 70 off topic post

i read this thread 4 times but i dont have any thing to say before.

but i guess you want us to praise you then... okay...

thanks and sticky it.. 

happy now? ;D
xpon is so cute...
Image                         Image
Even Ayumi~chan and Sera~chan love to hug him.....
Thanks to sonoci & Yuri
Detective Alohran

Lol, no, it's not my target to be praised nor anything like that... but it keeps me thinking if actually people reads, understands and leaves, or plainly didn't gave a s*** about it :P.

If it helped anyone I'm more than repaid, as I did this as a way to repay what I have got from this community :).
Akonyl
Community Hero

Post by Akonyl »

a good tutorial, but:
Detective Alohran wrote: A tip: in the "Addons" tab, turn the JD Decompressor off (by clicking the "enabled" option and make the ticket go away). That, because if you download rared files the program will inmediately decompress the file, as well as to keep the compressed file, filling up your disk fast. Also, be sure to choose the folder in which you want the files to be downloaded in the settings tab.

If sometimes downloads doesn't start, and says waiting for a new IP, stop the downloads (you can use the upper buttons, work the same way as in a DVD player: play begins, stop stops (duh!), pause pauses (duh again!) and arrows make the clicked file go up one line in the waiting list, or to the top, or to the bottom or one down) and then resume them a while later. If it still says needing new IP, stop them for a couple of hours and return later.
rather than reccommending them to turn auto-extraction off (which is a majorly awesome feature of the program imo, combined with putting in a password list), there's an option in the program somewhere to auto-delete archives after you're done extracting them, so it won't fill your hard drive. Sadly I don't have jDownloader on this computer so I can't look for it to point out where this option is :V

also if it's waiting on a new IP, rather than stopping the download yourself there's no reason not to keep it running. That way, jDownloader will start downloading the file as soon as it's allowed to download again (well, within 10 minutes), rather than you having to guess when you're ready to start back up.
Dark Ren
Meitantei Conan - One Piece - Fairy Tail

Post by Dark Ren »

it is nice tutorial, indeed. btw I have some anime which I need to download. and while I download the linklist, it turn out to be some file like ****.dlc

and some people said it is opened by Jdownloader

is it right or wrong? and how I opened it? sorry if I`m newbie since I never use this software for downloading
xpon
Community Sepll Chkecer
Spreading the cuteness, all over DCTP

Post by xpon »

Detective Alohran wrote: Lol, no, it's not my target to be praised nor anything like that... but it keeps me thinking if actually people reads, understands and leaves, or plainly didn't gave a s*** about it :P.

If it helped anyone I'm more than repaid, as I did this as a way to repay what I have got from this community :).
oh.. this is helping.. really

but on my case, i never use this and cant use this ( my office pc is locked and i cant install anything)
xpon is so cute...
Image                         Image
Even Ayumi~chan and Sera~chan love to hug him.....
Thanks to sonoci & Yuri
Detective Alohran

Akonyl wrote: a good tutorial, but:
Detective Alohran wrote: A tip: in the "Addons" tab, turn the JD Decompressor off (by clicking the "enabled" option and make the ticket go away). That, because if you download rared files the program will inmediately decompress the file, as well as to keep the compressed file, filling up your disk fast. Also, be sure to choose the folder in which you want the files to be downloaded in the settings tab.

rather than reccommending them to turn auto-extraction off (which is a majorly awesome feature of the program imo, combined with putting in a password list), there's an option in the program somewhere to auto-delete archives after you're done extracting them, so it won't fill your hard drive. Sadly I don't have jDownloader on this computer so I can't look for it to point out where this option is :V

also if it's waiting on a new IP, rather than stopping the download yourself there's no reason not to keep it running. That way, jDownloader will start downloading the file as soon as it's allowed to download again (well, within 10 minutes), rather than you having to guess when you're ready to start back up.
Those ones are pretty good tips :) thanks for sharing!
Dark Ren wrote: it is nice tutorial, indeed. btw I have some anime which I need to download. and while I download the linklist, it turn out to be some file like ****.dlc

and some people said it is opened by Jdownloader

is it right or wrong? and how I opened it? sorry if I`m newbie since I never use this software for downloading
It is right. Go to linkgrabber -> add container and choose your file. Voilá. ;)
Kurunouma

Post by Kurunouma »

I still reading facts about this downloader and check it's website, does it work like torrent? hehe I was thinking if I choose this rather than torrent client. co'z downloading Conan episodes took a long time using torrent..  :(

anyway thanks for this tutorial. ;D
"I heard a voice telling me to live, embracing the loss. It's the curse that we humans must bear."

-Even if I'm away, DCTP will always stay in my heart-

cute gifts from PT
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
RubberStamp
ON0EZ Z0MBEEZ

Post by RubberStamp »

Jdownloader allows you to directly download whatever it is you're downloading, instead of relying on peers to exchange information like in a torrent. Therefore you're only really limited by your internet connection's download rate with this program, rather than how many are seeders seeding and your download rate in a torrent. At least, that's how I understand it, so anyone feel free to correct me if I am incorrect (I am not crazy computer savvy).

Personally I like using Jdownloader whenever I can.

Hope this helps. :D
Last edited by RubberStamp on April 22nd, 2011, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageNeeds moar dancingImage
Kurunouma

Post by Kurunouma »

RubberStamp wrote: Jdownloader allows you to directly download whatever it is you're downloading, instead of relying on peers to exchange information like in a torrent. Therefore you're only really limited by your internet connection's download rate with this program, rather than how many are seeders seeding and your download rate in a torrent.
so that's how it works... then last question, what if I turned off my computer and some files are not finished yet to download, does the file that I downloaded can be restored again once I turned on my computer?

(sorry for my English, I'm not good at it...) Thanks ;D
"I heard a voice telling me to live, embracing the loss. It's the curse that we humans must bear."

cute gifts from PT
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
RubberStamp
ON0EZ Z0MBEEZ

Post by RubberStamp »

kurunouma wrote:
RubberStamp wrote: Jdownloader allows you to directly download whatever it is you're downloading, instead of relying on peers to exchange information like in a torrent. Therefore you're only really limited by your internet connection's download rate with this program, rather than how many are seeders seeding and your download rate in a torrent.
so that's how it works... then last question, what if I turned off my computer and some files are not finished yet to download, does the file that I downloaded can be restored again once I turned on my computer?

(sorry for my English, I'm not good at it...) Thanks ;D
Your English is fine :) so don't apologize.
I've seen much worse from people with English as their first language!

In any case, back to your question. I'll try to answer it as best I can.

Jdownloader keeps track of all your downloads, a bit like a torrent program. If you have a file that has yet to begin downloading, then once you restarted the program, you can start downloading the next file.

However, with a file that is in the middle of downloading, I think it depends on the website the actual file has been uploaded to. Some sites will allow you to resume downloading after there has been an interruption, like MegaUpload, but I'm not sure about others. I haven't tried it myself, to be honest. If a file does not allow interruptible downloading, I believe you'd have to find the original link to re-get the file and that's just a hassle.

So to be safe, I would suggest that you just wait until a file finishes downloading and quickly pressing the stop button before Jdownload starts downloading the next file, and then shut the program/your computer down. Personally, if I'm going to do heavy downloading I always just leave my computer on with Jdownloader running so that it downloads as I sleep.

Sorry if that's confusing. If it is, say so and I'll try to clear myself up. :)
Last edited by RubberStamp on April 22nd, 2011, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageNeeds moar dancingImage
Kurunouma

Post by Kurunouma »

Thanks, I really appreciate your help RubberStamp! ;D so then, I'll try this Jdownloader wohoo!

cute gifts from PT
Spoiler:
Spoiler: