My professor layton thread!

The place for discussing movies, music, books, video games, and everything in between.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Re: The professor layton thread!

Post by kkslider5552000 »

I feel obligated any time someone brings up the first Layton game to point out that even compared to anything else in the series, the payoff to Curious Village is stupid.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
mangaluva
Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Post by mangaluva »

kkslider5552000 wrote: I feel obligated any time someone brings up the first Layton game to point out that even compared to anything else in the series, the payoff to Curious Village is stupid.
I dunno, I think
Spoiler:
robots are mildly more plausible than a giant otter having a fight with a drill and being mistaken for a ghost
I already can't wait for the ridiculous conclusion to The Miracle Mask. Fiver says aliens are involved.
Vylash

Post by Vylash »

oh god that wolves and chicks one took me forever
MaitreDétective

Post by MaitreDétective »

Vylash wrote: oh god that wolves and chicks one took me forever
I know that feel bro
aly_angelflight
Get that squirrel!

Post by aly_angelflight »

Wolves and chicks?

...I did that kind of puzzle in Elementary school. :-X
"I suppose he could have changed. I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil.”
3DS Friend Code: 2723-9258-9521
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

I saw a bunch of people at the MCM give up on Mask of Miracles' FIRST puzzle... though admittedly, I never expected untangling balloon strings to be so hard. But if you completed it you got to the action sequence! :D
Vylash

Post by Vylash »

i now have a notebook that i use to solve layton puzzles, this is what has become of me
MaitreDétective

Post by MaitreDétective »

Finaly bought "Miracle Mask" today! I haven't played a game on 3DS since Rhythm Thief
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

Vylash wrote: i now have a notebook that i use to solve layton puzzles, this is what has become of me
You have become awesome
miakakiri
Really not sure what I should put here....

Post by miakakiri »

mangaluva wrote: I saw a bunch of people at the MCM give up on Mask of Miracles' FIRST puzzle... though admittedly, I never expected untangling balloon strings to be so hard. But if you completed it you got to the action sequence! :D
What? That didn't even take very long! OK, it took a few 'reset puzzle' presses to get it, but I did get it pretty quickly. I wasn't pleased with the action sequence, though. I am bad at action stuff in videogames.
I have finally started to actually publish my story! For the moment, expect a new chapter each month.

The Case of the Midnight Channel
"When a strange letter summons the Mouri family to Inaba, Ran is expecting a case. She's not expecting it to involve the TV, though.
If Naoto investigated everyone who came to visit Inaba, she'd have little time for real cases. When Yukiko reports that the Midnight Channel is back, however, she starts to wonder if the visitors are connected. Especially when the image clears, unveiling yet another mystery."

Short version: I'm taking various DC/MK characters to Inaba (where Persona 4 takes place) and dropping them through the TV to face their Shadows!
Cross-posted:Case of the Midnight Channel at Archive of our Own.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

miakakiri wrote:
mangaluva wrote: I saw a bunch of people at the MCM give up on Mask of Miracles' FIRST puzzle... though admittedly, I never expected untangling balloon strings to be so hard. But if you completed it you got to the action sequence! :D
What? That didn't even take very long! OK, it took a few 'reset puzzle' presses to get it, but I did get it pretty quickly. I wasn't pleased with the action sequence, though. I am bad at action stuff in videogames.
I had a hard time with it the first time, too. It can take forever if you haven't worked out the trick to it : x

I actually really like the horse racing game, but the problem is that the screen for it's really dark, so you more or less have to play it in a pitch-black room or else you can't see the barrels D:

Anyway, halfway through the game now and absolutely adoring the flashback sections. All of the interactions between Hersh, Randy and Angie walk a fine line between adorable and tragic, which Randall tends to push over the line to "tragic" a LOT. Especially the first time I solved a puzzle as him and he said "there is no puzzle without a solution!" And I just went "ADKHFAUIGDJKF THE PROFESSOR SAYS THAT! HE SAYS THAT BECAUSE HIS DEAD BFF SAYS IT! AAAAAHH...."

All it will take is for it to be revealed that Layton started drinking tea when his grandad died or something and Layton's personality will be 100% tragic keepsakes.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

Finished the game. Well, it wasn't aliens, unless the sixth game proceeds to pull a complete Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and reveal that the Azrans were extraterrestrials. Which would not surprise me. I mean, MoM already turned into an awesome Indiana Jones movie in the sixth chapter, where it suddenly transformed into a dungeon crawler with you running away from boulders and fighting off mummies with a shovel. While wearing an awesome 'fro which sadly never featured in any Indiana Jones movie.

Anyway, I now need to spew all my feels before my brain implodes, so here we go.
Spoiler:
Randall's death scene. Dear god. I knew it was coming, I'd seen bits of it in the trailers, but still... it wasn't actually so much the death as the scene immediately there after with young Layton finding the treasure all alone and breaking down in tears in front of it, saying that it wasn't worth Randall's life and he didn't want it.

It was bad enough the moment halfway through the preceeding dungeon crawl where I realized that by solving the puzzles, I was leading Randall to his untimely death. GAAAAAAAAGH.

And Randall being the Masked Gentleman... again, called it, knew it was coming, but it was still really quite painful to see the happy, enthusiastic young man that I'd come to know and love in the flashbacks transformed into such a bitter, damaged man.

...WHO TRIED TO SPLAT LUKE. That kid walks a fine line between being adorable and incredibly annoying (Just the latter if we're talking about Lina Minelli's abomination of an accent) but I got quite frightened for him when that happened.

Then the Professor utilized his BA in BadAssery and all was well. I loved the swordfighting flashbacks, too. SO AWESOME.

The reveal about Henry was the biggest surprise. Throughout the game, you were subtly conditioned to be suspicious of him- his mannerisms, the weird way Angela was acting, his character design right down to that weird little beard... you were intended to dislike him. And then suddenly it turns out he is THE WORLD'S MOST ULTIMATE BRO. He turned over a whole CITY JUST LIKE THAT. And wow, talk about bros before hos... SUDDENLY I LOVE YOU HENRY.

I was sad that the good Professor didn't get another swordfight with Descole, though. That's always awesome.

And speaking of Descole HOLY COW THIS IS ACTUALLY ALL A CONNECTED THING WITH SPECTRE'S CALL AND THE ETERNAL DIVA. I actually felt kinda sorry for Descole at the end when he was utterly PWNed by the douche in the sunglasses. I'm looking forward to the third-game teamup of the Professor with the disguised-mechanical-genius-recurring-villain. Descole is significantly more awesome than Don Paolo. Also sexier.

...Kinda wondering what's going to happen to Emmy, too, since she's nowhere to be seen at all in the next two games...
Okay, I think that's all the feels. That game was second only to Unwound Future in how much it made me cry. Roll on the sixth! I can't wait to see all those plot threads come together...
miakakiri
Really not sure what I should put here....

Post by miakakiri »

Luke is too cute! "I don't get what all the fuss is. Money is just paper with old people on it."
I have finally started to actually publish my story! For the moment, expect a new chapter each month.

The Case of the Midnight Channel
"When a strange letter summons the Mouri family to Inaba, Ran is expecting a case. She's not expecting it to involve the TV, though.
If Naoto investigated everyone who came to visit Inaba, she'd have little time for real cases. When Yukiko reports that the Midnight Channel is back, however, she starts to wonder if the visitors are connected. Especially when the image clears, unveiling yet another mystery."

Short version: I'm taking various DC/MK characters to Inaba (where Persona 4 takes place) and dropping them through the TV to face their Shadows!
Cross-posted:Case of the Midnight Channel at Archive of our Own.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

miakakiri wrote: Luke is too cute! "I don't get what all the fuss is. Money is just paper with old people on it."
For me, Luke walks a fine line between "adorable" and "so annoying I want to kill him with a shovel".

...as long as he's voiced by Maria Darling. Lani Minella is a wonderful Emmy and Flora and all respect to her for that, but I would not take it as a loss if she died in a fire before recording any more of that godawful Mockney she spews out for Luke in the US games.
Vylash

Post by Vylash »

first game was okay, not interesting enough for me to wanna continue with the series though